Federal Way

Alleged ID thief arrested with 1,000 pounds of stolen mail

Alleged ID thief arrested with 1,000 pounds of stolen mail

PORT TOWNSEND, Wash. -- Officers found more than 1,000 pounds of stolen mail in a wanted felon's apartment in what is being called the largest fraud scheme ever investigated by the Port Townsend Police Department.

According to police, 38-year-old Adam Justin Lysiak would take nightly runs through Jefferson County and other nearby counties, stealing mail and returning to his apartment in the 1500 block of Sherman Street.

He allegedly used the mail to create fake identities, forge ID cards, pass bad checks and use stolen credit cards.

The Port Townsend Police Department learned of the identity theft operation while investigating a tip that Lysiak, a wanted felon, was living on Sherman Street.

Officers served a warrant at Lysiak's apartment Tuesday evening and arrested Lysiak after he tried to escape by jumping off a second-floor balcony, injuring himself, according to police.

Inside Lysiak's apartment, police found more than 1,000 pounds of mail, as well as other evidence, whose sheer volume could require weeks to process, according to police.

According to Washington state law, every 10 pieces of stolen mail is a separate felony, meaning Lysiak could have more than 100 felony charges filed against him.

He could also faces charges for forgery, financial fraud, theft and possessing stolen property.

Lysiak, who has a history of drug abuse and resisting arrest, is being held on $250,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

At the time of his arrest, was wanted by a handful of local law-enforcement agencies in connection with various crimes .

Kent Municipal Court wanted him in connection with possession of stolen property; Federal Way Municipal Court wanted him in connection with forgery and attempted theft; and Fife Municipal Court wanted him for a criminal traffic charge.

In addition, Lysiak was wanted by the Department of Corrections for allegedly escaping from community custody in Federal Way.

He was released from prison in September after serving time for identity theft, possession of stolen property and possession of fraudulent bank checks and placed into community custody prior to escaping.

This is the second time Lysiak has allegedly escaped from the Department of Corrections. According to police, he escaped his probation officer last year and was later found hiding in Port Hadlock.