'I didn't think I'd make it': Local dancer maimed in Boston blast

'I didn't think I'd make it': Local dancer maimed in Boston blast
BOSTON - A dancer from the Puget Sound region was one of the most badly injured in the Boston Marathon explosions - she and her husband were standing just a few feet away when the second bomb went off.

In an exclusive interview with KOMO News, Issaquah native Adrianne Haslet talked about the horrific experience of having her foot blown off in the blast and her legs embedded with shrapnel.

Thanks to the actions of her quick-thinking husband, Good Samaritans and first responders, she survived despite massive blood loss - and is just grateful to tell her story of survival.

Adrianne says she and her husband Adam Davis saw the first bomb go off from the sidelines.

"We heard the first bomb go off, and we saw the smoke," she says from her hospital bed.

Moments later, they felt the second blast.

"And I remember the impact of the air and the bomb hitting my chest and pulling me back," she says.

Adrianne, a 1998 graduate of Issaquah High School and a professional dancer from the Seattle area, had moved to Boston to be near her husband, Adam, a U.S. airman based in New England, who was on leave from Afghanistan.

They were at the marathon together that day, and both were blown off their feet by the sheer force of the blast.

"I didn't feel heat from it - I just felt air. And then I fell to the ground and we fell on top of each other like a pretzel," says Adrianne.

At first - they thought they were OK.

"We sat up, and I said, 'Wait, my foot hurts.' And then he held up my foot, and we both just screamed bloody murder," she remembers.

Adrianne had lost her left foot. The right side of her body was covered with shrapnel, and she also had lost hearing in her right ear.

"I didn't think that I would make it," she says.

Adam suffered broken bones in his left foot, and his legs were lacerated by shrapnel.

"I just thought, 'Wow, I can't believe this is it," says Adrianne.

Adrianne crawled across the sidewalk. Adam made a tourniquet with his belt - tying it around her leg to try and stop the massive bleeding.

There was so much chaos around them, Adrianne was convinced she wasn't going to make it.

"I thought, 'My gosh, with the first blast and the second blast and the streets being closed - there is no way they are going to get to me," she says.

She thought about her life ... her career ... her passion.

"It was very sad, and I absolutely want to dance again."

And just when she'd nearly lost hope, help arrived.

"I think I realized that I might live through it once I saw the firemen to lift me out to safety," she says.

Still recovering in her hospital room in Boston, Adrianne is full of emotions. She is angry at the people responsible, sad over what was taken from her - but still hopeful.

"I just want people to know that you can come out of a situation that might seem like the end of the world and come out stronger," she says.

After she receives her prosthetic foot and completes her physical therapy, Adrianne not only plans to return to the dance floor, but she is also determined to run in next year's Boston Marathon.


To help Adrianne, visit