Sammamish

Lightning strike sparks gas leak in Sammamish

Lightning strike sparks gas leak in Sammamish
SAMMAMISH, Wash. - A lightning strike sparked a gas leak in a Sammamish neighborhood overnight.

Repair crews say a bolt of lightning hit the gutter on the back of a home in the 23300 block of NE 29th Place as darkness fell on Wednesday. It was powerful enough to knock the electrical meter off the rear of the house.

A woman who lives in the home says she saw a shower of sparks fly through the air after the lightning struck.

The current passed into the ground, rupturing a buried gas line 100 feet away and causing flammable gas to spew into the air.

Crews responded to the scene and found two leaks from the gas main deep underground, beneath the street. They dug down to the leaks and repaired the damage.

Power and gas were shut off to the surrounding homes as crews worked all night long to repair the damage. They wrapped up their work at about sunrise, pouring new asphalt over the site of the gas leaks.

There were no injuries.