As most people know, asbestos is extremely hazardous to workers handling it and to others in the area when it gets into the air and is inhaled. Asbestos is a carcinogen that causes lung cancer and mesothelioma and is very dangerous.
Most people don't realize how common asbestos was used in building materials. In addition to insulation, asbestos was used in linoleum floors, ceiling tiles commonly used in basements, roofing products, radiators and other heating elements, and even the faux embers in fireplaces.
Disturbing asbestos materials during remodeling or construction is a serious hazard. Anyone handling or removing asbestos for commercial purposes in the state of Washington must be certified and receive approval from the L&I.
An excellent resouce on asbestos and the removal and disposal of asbestos can be found at http://www.lni.wa.gov/tradeslicensing/licensingreq/asbestos/. Please take extra when disturbing potential asbestos materials and protect the ones you love.