Tacoma Mall shooter gets 163 years

Tacoma Mall shooter gets 163 years »Play Video
Dominick Maldonado is seen leaving a courtroom after he was found guilty on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 in Pierce County Superior Court.
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Dominick S. Maldonado, the gunman who told 911 dispatchers to "follow the screams" before wounding seven in a 2005 Tacoma Mall shooting rampage, was sentenced to more than 160 years in prison Friday.

Maldonado, 22, was convicted Oct. 2 of 15 crimes, including attempted murder, assault and kidnapping. He was sentenced to just over 163 years in prison, Deputy Pierce County Prosecutor Phil Sorensen said.

Sixty-one years were imposed as a special sentence for gun crimes. That portion can't be reduced for good behavior, and Maldonado must serve it before the rest of his prison term can begin.

Superior Court Judge Linda Lee handed down the sentence after a hearing that featured statements from Maldonado and two of his victims.

Roberta Davis, who was shot in the leg, called Maldonado a terrorist.

"You not only terrorized me an my husband that day two years ago, but you terrorized our families, our friends and a whole community," said shooting victim Roberta Davis.

Maldonado said he'd been treated unfairly by the justice system, but also said he owed victims and others at the mall that day an apology.

"I do take full responsibility," Maldonado said.

The shooting erupted at the mall just days before Thanksgiving in 2005.

Four people were taken hostage during the melee, which lasted for several hours. The most seriously wounded victim, Dan McKown, was left partially paralyzed.

McKown has been bound to a wheelchair ever since Maldonado shot him at close range as McKown was trying to shoot him.

"Mr. Maldonado, you're about to go to a real prison. I'm in one of my own," McKown said in court.

During trial, Maldonado's defense argued he was in the throes of a mental disorder and shouldn't have been held responsible for the assault.

Prosecutors, however, said Maldonado planned the attack for weeks, and pointed to evidence that he called 911 just before the shooting and told a dispatcher to "follow the screams."

Sorensen argued for a prison term at the high end of sentencing guidelines. After the hearing, Sorensen said he was "glad that the community has this one behind it."

Defense attorney Keith MacFie asked Lee to depart from the standard range, saying that no one was killed in the shooting.

"It is a death sentence. He is going to die in prison," MacFie said.

In spite of the heavy words spoken both by the victims and his own attorney at the sentencing, Maldonado maintained a cavalier attitude, even wishing the Seahawks well at the end of the hearing.