Son of late 'Deadliest Catch' captain arrested

Son of late 'Deadliest Catch' captain arrested
Jake Harris (Photo:
SEATTLE - State troopers have arrested a son of the late Phil Harris, the well-known "Deadliest Catch" fishing boat captain who recently died, on suspicion of DUI and hit-and-run.

Jake Harris was arrested Thursday night after he was spotted driving erratically down Interstate 5 by a Washington State Patrol plane, said WSP Trooper Dan McDonald.

McDonald said a motorist called 911 to report an aggressive driver headed south on I-5 near the King-Snohomish county line at about 9 p.m.

Airborne troopers spotted the vehicle and guided highway-based troopers to it at the Mercer Street exit off I-5, where the vehicle was pulled over.

Troopers identified the driver as Jake Harris and determined that he was impaired, McDonald said.

Further investigation revealed that Harris was driving with a suspended license and that he was a suspect in a hit-and-run accident earlier in the evening, McDonald said.

Harris reportedly told troopers at the time of his arrest that he was late for a Discovery Channel dinner.

Harris was arrested and booked into the King County jail on suspicion of DUI, hit-and-run and driving with a suspended license.

McDonald said the earlier hit-and-run accident took place at about 5 p.m. Thursday on northbound I-5 near Highway 520.

McDonald said Harris' vehicle rear-ended another car then fled the scene of the crash. No one was injured in the accident.

Jake Harris is the son of Phil Harris, the fishing boat captain whose adventures off the Alaska coast were captured on the television show "Deadliest Catch."

Phil Harris died Feb. 9 at age 53 of a massive stroke aboard his fishing boat, the Cornelia Marie, several days earlier while it was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska.

The reality show, which has filmed five seasons, has been one of the Discovery Channel's most popular and depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.