Adhahn 'person of interest' in Adre'Anna's death

Adhahn 'person of interest' in Adre'Anna's death »Play Video
LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- The man suspected of killing 12-year-old Zina Linnik has been named as a person of interest in the death of Adre'Anna Jackson, who was found dead in a Pierce County field in 2006.

Lakewood Police Lt. Dave Guttu said officers went back and showed Terapon Adhahn's photo to residents in the Tillicum neighborhood where Adre'Anna lived, and several people said they saw him in the area around the time Adre'Anna disappeared.

Police found "he is commonly known as a handy man in that area," Guttu said. "Stores or apartment complexes or individuals have used him as a handy man."

The 10-year-old girl was last seen alive when she left for school December 2, 2005. Her remains were found April 4, 2006 by two young boys who were playing in a field.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner was not able to determine a cause of death.

Adhahn, 42, is expected to be charged in the kidnapping and death of Zina Linnik, who was taken from behind her home on July 4.

He provided the information that led police and FBI agents to the body and he is currently being held by federal immigration authorities.

Officials on Monday said they obtained a search warrant allowing them to collect a DNA sample from Adhahn, which could be used to connect him to other cases currently under review.

Linnik, whose body was found by police and FBI agents in a rural wooded area, died of "homicidal violence," the Pierce County medical examiner's office concluded.

She disappeared after being sent down an alley behind her home to bring back some of her siblings, who had wandered off to watch fireworks. Her father heard her scream, found a single flip flop on the ground and saw a boxy gray van driving away. His partial recollection of the license plate number led investigators to Adhahn.

Adhahn served two months in jail and completed five years of sex offender treatment following a 1990 incest conviction after he violently raped a female relative, according to court records.

During an evaluation in August 1990, Adhahn told a therapist he'd been sexually molested countless times by an older brother when he was between the ages of 7 and 9 years old, according to court records. He also said his biological father was an abusive alcoholic.

The therapist called Adhahn's personality profile "extremely problematic." But by the time Adhahn completed sex offender treatment in 1997, his counselor wrote that he had made adequate progress and was actively involved in weekly group therapy.

Adhahn, a legal permanent resident of the U.S., could not have been deported for the incest conviction because it was not an aggravated felony and it was his first offense, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Virginia Kice said.

But a 1992 conviction for intimidation with a dangerous weapon could have made him deportable, and Adhahn was being held this week on an immigration complaint. He also was charged with failing to register as a sex offender.

The cases being reviewed by police date back more than 20 years. Michella Welch, 12, of Tacoma, was found dead hours after the girl disappeared from a park on March 26, 1986. Later that year, Jennifer Bastian, 13, of Tacoma, was found dead in a park where she'd been last seen riding her bicycle two weeks earlier.

Investigators around the country are also reviewing other unsolved cases to see whether Adhahn may have been in the area at the time.