Wounded deputy: 'I felt that I was about to die'

Wounded deputy: 'I felt that I was about to die'
CHEHALIS, Wash. -- A Grays Harbor County sheriff's deputy testified Tuesday that she though she was going to die when her own gun was pointed at her.

It's been a year since Steven Kravetz was arrested for allegedly attacking a deputy and a judge inside a Grays Harbor County courtroom.

The trial was moved to Lewis County because judges in Grays Harbor disqualified themselves because a fellow judge was one of the people attacked. Plus, jurors would have had to walk through the scene of the courthouse crime each day on their way to the trail.

Kravetz is accused of nearly taking the lives of a female deputy and a judge who rushed to her defense last March.

Deputy Polly Davin testified Tuesday that she thought Kravetz was acting strange on the day of the attack.

"I told him he was kind of creeping out the people in the courthouse," she said.

As Davin questioned him, prosecutors say Kravetz lashed out at her with a knife, cutting her cheek and throat.

"I remember the feeling of being attacked and now I'm really in trouble," she said.

During the struggle, prosecutors say Kravetz wrestled the gun away from Davin and shot her in the arm.

Judge David Edwards heard the commotion and came running. He, too, was stabbed in the neck. Edwards said the attack happened so quick he didn't have time to consider his own peril.

"From the time that he saw the gun and ripped it from her hands and then immediately turned it and shot her twice, we're talking a couple of seconds," he said.

Kravetz ran away after the attack and was arrested the next day at his mom's Olympia home, according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors say Kravetz attacked Davin because he had a warrant out for his arrest and didn't want to be taken into custody. His defense attorney isn't denying his client was the attacker, but is going to argue Kravetz has a diminished capacity and didn't intend to kill anyone.

The trial is expected to last five days