It's unattended cooking. According to the National Fire Protection Association, one out of three house fires starts in the kitchen; that's more than any other place in the house.
Cooking fires are also the number-one cause of injuries in house fires.
Remember, never use water on a grease fire. "That will spread the fire even further and you'll really have a major tragedy on your hands," says John Drengenberg with Underwriters Laboratories "It'll just move the grease around and you'll have little fires all over the room."
If you have a small grease fire, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. If you have a fire in your oven or microwave oven, turn it off and leave the door closed.
Candles are also a big problem, especially as the days get shorter. Candles need to be in a sturdy holder on a sturdy surface. And most importantly, never leave a room with a lit candle.
For More Information: