Frozen pizza is convenient and a lot cheaper than a pizzeria, but what about the taste?
Our news partners at Consumer Reports just evaluated 16 individual-sized frozen pizzas, both pepperoni and cheese. And guess what? The editors say you can get take out taste in your own home.
Consumer Reports named Red Baron Singles Deep Dish a Best Buy.
The magazine's food experts have a few tips to get the best results:
- Don't thaw the pizza before you cook it.
- Use a hot oven. Wait until it reaches the recommended temperature before putting in the pie.
- If the manufacturer lists one set of directions as "recommended" or "for best results," use that method. Otherwise, if given a choice between microwave or oven, they recommending using a conventional oven.
- For a crispier crust, bake pizza directly on the oven rack. Using a cookie sheet (especially if the edges of the pizza hang off) can make the crust cook unevenly.
- To reheat leftovers, put slices in a frying pan on medium heat until the cheese starts to melt.
Frozen Pizza Buying Guide