Story Updated Wed Jun 19 14:22:04 PDT 2013
Obesity classified as disease, may improve patients’ care
The American Medical Association officially recognized obesity as a disease Tuesday, a decision local physicians believe will make it easier for them to treat the overweight. But, opponents argue obesity is a lifestyle choice and classifying it a medical illness will increase health care costs.
- McGinn, other mayors don't want food stamps used to buy soda
- HPV vaccine cut infection by half in teen girls
- Medicare: Cost-saving changes coming for diabetics
- Study: You may not need to see the dentist twice a year
- Report: U.S. adult smoking rate dips to 18 percent
- Report: Slowdown in health care costs to continue
- Komen breast cancer charity names new CEO
- To ease shortage of organs, grow them in a lab?
- Local researchers celebrate high court's ruling against gene patents
- Supreme Court says human genes cannot be patented
- 3 ways to get more facetime with your doctor
- More top stories...