Owner of electrocuted dog: 'We were all at risk that day'

Owner of electrocuted dog: 'We were all at risk that day' »Play Video
Lisa McKibbin and her dog Sammy
SEATTLE -- The investigation continues into how a dog was electrocuted in Seattle’s Queen Anne neighborhood.

Sammy was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day as his owner Lisa McKibbin walked him along Queen Anne Avenue North, next to a street light.

"There is something in that light pole that is not functioning properly or correctly," McKibbin said.

McKibbin claims stray voltage killed Sammy.

But Suzanne Hartman with Seattle City Light said it was not stray voltage.

"What we have determined is that it is a circuitry issue at the location and it could be a matter of a grounding wire," Hartman said.

Hartman says crews cut power right away to that light, and the investigation into the how and why continues.

In the meantime, McKibbin says she's worried about other lights, other dogs and even people getting hurt.

"I tried to protect him.  I tried so hard," McKibbin said. "And he was the most important thing next to my mom, in my life."

John McDowell, who owns the men's store a few doors from where Sammy died, says hearing what happened to Sammy may help explain what happened to his dog the day before.

"Oslo jumped onto the pavement and just ended up flat on his belly, yelping," McDowell said.

McDowell says he carried Oslo into the store and then spent about an hour calming him down.

McDowell says he and Sammy crossed the street at an electrical panel in the sidewalk, just about 25 feet from where Sammy died.

"We were all at risk that day," McDowell said. "We could have been electrocuted."

Seattle City Light says this is rare and that it's not likely to happen anywhere else.