Man burned in explosion while trying to make hashish

BELLINGHAM, Wash. -- A 22-year-old man was seriously burned during an explosion at his home early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called to his home in the 1600 block of James Street just after midnight after receiving a call for a man who had suffered several flash burns on his body.

Once firefighters arrived and declared the home safe, police officers went in and found 6.5 pounds of marijuana, butane bottles, drug paraphernalia and hashish, said Mark Young with Bellingham police.

The homeowner told officers that he was burned by the explosion while making hashish. He was taken to a Bellingham hospital first, then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for treatment of burns to his hands, torso and face.

The man told police he was making hashish when the explosion occurred. He also claimed he has a license to make medical marijuana, but police have not confirmed that yet.

The man's name has not been released.