Teen accused of murdering friend pleads not guilty

Teen accused of murdering friend pleads not guilty
KENT, Wash. -- A teenager accused of killing his friend at a Tukwila apartment pleaded not guilty on Monday as members of the victim's family looked on.

Kolby Clark, 17, has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Jasmyn Tully.

"This was really hard today," said Stephen Tully, Jasmyn's father. "I don't know (Clark) and I've never seen him before, but we need to be here for Jasmyn."

Prosecutors say Clark strangled and stabbed Tully on March 17 as she slept on a couch.

After the murder, police say they found Clark wandering the nearby streets with a gash on his arm. He originally told police he and Tully had been attacked by another man. But investigators say Clark later admitted he "felt an urge to hurt someone," then stabbed Tully, whom he had known for a few years.

Stephen Tully said he can't imagine why his daughter was murdered.

"I know that a sleeping, 115-pound, 5-foot-4 girl has no defense against anybody," he said. "I don't think there are any excuses -- she was just sleeping on the couch, what possible excuse could he have? I don't know what's wrong with him. He killed somebody and now he's going to have to pay the price."

In the days after the killing Clark's family members said he told them from his jail cell that he was high at the time of the attack, but prosecutors said there is no evidence to suggest that Clark was under the influence of drugs at the time of the murder.

Stephen Tully says it doesn't matter.

"I don't care whether he smoked spice or not, he murdered my daughter," Stephen Tully said. "He knew what he did. I'm sure he was aware of it at the time and I'm sure he's aware of it right now."

He described his daughter as a funny person who was loved by many and was just talking about attending veterinary school, but there was so much more to her.

"I can't put 17 years of a young person's life into a few words," Stephen Tully said.

Clark has been charged as an adult and could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Meanwhile, Stephen Tully said he and his family members will be at every court proceeding.

"It was really hard to watch this today but there is nobody to speak for my daughter except us now," he said. "(Clark) is still breathing -- I need to make sure he gets his time that's coming."