'I looked across the street and saw large, orange flames'

'I looked across the street and saw large, orange flames'
ALLYN, Wash. -- A 2-alarm fire destroyed a garage and damaged a home along the waterfront in Allyn early Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 18200 block of E. State Route 3 just after 6:30 a.m. Aerial video showed flames engulfing about half the home.

Lonzo and his wife woke up to flames in their garage, just feet from their bedroom window.

"I don't know what happened," Lonzo said. "She's working the microwave and next thing I know, it was on fire."

Crews were on scene within minutes and kept flames from spreading to nearby homes.

The fire woke up Lonzo's neighbor as well.

"I woke up to what sounded like a running gun battle out here," said Donald Lewis-Chatel. "It was like, 'pop, pop, snap, snap.' "

He then grabbed his camera.

"When I opened the door, I looked across the street and saw the large orange flames," he said.

And just feet from the inferno, a vacationing family of five staying next door scrambled to get out.

"We were in the house next door and it just yelling, 'Fire! Fire!' " said Erin Miller.

Everyone got out safe but with just the structure's skeleton behind, firefighters say it's amazing the flames didn't do more damage.

The Red Cross is now helping Lonzo and his wife. Although he escaped in only his pajamas, he's thankful no more damage was done and thankful to be alive.

Fire officials are not sure what started the fire, but suspect propane inside may have helped fuel it.