3 rescued from burning North Beach home

3 rescued from burning North Beach home »Play Video
SEATTLE -- Seattle firefighters rescued three people from a burning home early Monday morning.

A neighbor across the street from the home called 911 just after 4:30 a.m. to report flames shooting from the garage, said Lt. Sue Stengl with Seattle Fire.

When firefighters arrived at the home in the 9200 block of 26th Ave. NW, they found the garage was fully involved in flames, nearby power lines were down, and the home's only exit was blocked by the raging fire.

Firefighters were eventually able to get inside the home and lead the three people inside to fresh air on an upper floor deck. A fire truck's ladder was brought in and two of the residents were able to climb to safety. But the third person was in a wheelchair and remained sheltered on the balcony under protection of firefighters until the flames were doused.

"Fortunately on the deck there was fresh air and the heat wasn't impinging on that part of the house," Stengl said. "We were able to keep that gentlemen safe on the deck and then later on were able to get him down as well."

The man in the wheelchair said firefighters woke him up to bring him to safety.

"I started feeling firemen on my arms and legs," Tony Riebe said. "You know, 'Get up, there's a fire,' -- they brought up my wheelchair and wheeled me out to the deck."

No one was hurt.

Fire investigators say an overheated extension cord was to blame for the fire. Damage was estimated at $100,000.

The Red Cross is helping those displaced by the fire.