Monster truck promoter killed at own show

Monster truck promoter killed at own show
MADISON, Wis. - A monster truck show promoter was killed Saturday night at one of his own shows in Wisconsin, a week after a 6-year-old boy died and a man was injured in a monster truck event in Tacoma.

The promoter, identified by the local coroner as George Eisenhart Jr., 41, of Chardon, Ohio, was severely injured as he walked onto the floor and was hit by one of the giant trucks. Medics scrambled to treat him, and he later was taken away in an ambulance.

 Medics respond after a show promoter is injured at a Wisconsin monster truck show Saturday night. The victim later died. (Photo courtesy of YouNews contributor sisoutlaw10)
Eisenhart later died of his injuries, the coroner's office said Sunday.

Eisenhart was the president of Image Promotions, which put on the monster truck show this weekend at the Alliant Energy Center Coliseum in Madison, Wisconsin media reported.

Eisenhart spoke to reporters on Friday about his group's safety record, in light of last week's deadly accident in the Tacoma Dome.

"This is our 16th year, and I wish I had a big piece of wood to knock on right now, but we have not had an incident besides a gal slipping in the aisle at another location," Eisenhart said Friday, according to a transcript provided by WKOW TV in Madison. "That's been all."

Video footage from the Saturday night event clearly shows the promoter being hit by one of the show's giant trucks as he stepped back out onto the floor from an entryway.

A spectator at the show, Jeff Murray of Madison, said Eisenhart stepped out onto the Coliseum floor just as one of the pickup trucks with oversized tires was about to go by, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

"He just walked out in front of it," Murray said. "There's no way either one could have seen the other."

The newspaper reported that organizers immediately halted the remainder of the show.

Sunday's show, scheduled at 1 p.m., has been canceled. Tickets will be automatically refunded to those who purchased them over the phone or Internet. Others should return to the location where the tickets were bought in order to get a refund.

Eisenhart was the third person to be hurt or killed at a monster truck event in a one-week period.

On Jan. 16 at the Tacoma Dome, 6-year-old Sebastian Hizey of Puyallup died after he was struck in the head by a Frisbee-sized chunk of metal that tore off a truck doing doughnuts during the Monster Jam show.

Another man seated nearby also was seriously injured when he was hit by a chunk of flying debris from the same truck.

The Tacoma show continued after the accident, and shows were not canceled for the remainder of the weekend. Refunds were available to anyone who requested them.

A memorial service was held for young Sebastian Saturday night in Graham.