Seattle man in coma after weekend beating

Seattle man in coma after weekend beating »Play Video
Troy Duncan is seen in a photo from his MySpace page.
SEATTLE -- Troy Duncan has been fighting an uphill battle since he was beaten into a coma after allegedly hitting a woman downtown.

A witness who says she saw it all happen said Duncan's attackers should not still be on the streets.

Maria Parezanin watched Duncan, her best friend, get beaten unconscious early Saturday morning in a parking lot near the corner of Second Avenue and Pike Street.

She said Duncan was walking up to her car after a night out when he got into an argument with two other men.

Police said over the weekend that their preliminary investigation indicated that Duncan punched a woman, knocking her to the ground. A man who was a friend of the woman allegedly began beating Duncan while another man held him down.

"And I ran to go call the cops and then he was laying on the ground, unconscious. And those two guys just kept beating him," said Parezanin.

Minutes later, police officers arrived and rushed to help Duncan.

"He was unresponsive, so our detectives immediately began CPR until the fire department got there," said Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel.

Kappel said the department's homicide unit is investigating, and both men have been questioned and released. But investigators said the two men aren't off the hook.

"It just means that they're interviewed and we still have a lot of investigative work to do," said Kappel.

Parezanin said Duncan didn't intentionally hit any woman.

"She got shoved out of the way, or Troy hit her in aiming for the other guy," she said. "He'd never hit her on purpose or anything like that."

The woman Duncan hit, whether accidentally or on purpose, went to an area hospital with minor injuries. Parezanin insists the incident began with a misunderstanding that went too far.

"He's a very caring person and he's in critical condition right now in the hospital, and people need to pray for him," she said.

Investigators have not yet determined who or what prompted the fight. They're urging witnesses to contact them.