2 men jailed after I-5 shooting spree

2 men jailed after I-5 shooting spree »Play Video
SEATTLE - Two men were being held in jail Saturday following a bizarre overnight shooting spree only yards from Interstate 5 near North Seattle Community College.

The incident closed down all lanes of the freeway for hours, trapping thousands of motorists, but there were no injuries or property damage.

Police initially responded to the scene at about 9:30 p.m. Friday after receiving 911 calls about shots fired in the 100 block of North 90th Street.

When officers arrived, they heard shots to the north, near I-5, a Seattle police spokesperson said.

Officers continued searching the area and then heard more shots near the southeast corner of North Seattle Community College bordering the southbound lanes of I-5.

As police converged on the area, multiple rifle shots were fired within 50 yards of officers.

Police could see several red tracer rounds fired into the air from the wooded area. As they took cover, the shooter fired up to 15 more rounds in a rapid-fire mode.

Officers surrounded the area where the shots originated, then called in a SWAT team and the Guardian One police helicopter.

As automatic rifle rounds whizzed within 25 yards of I-5, officers made the decision to shut down the northbound and southbound lanes of the freeway at about 10 p.m.

Seattle Police Department spokeswoman Renee Witt said roadblocks were set up well away from the area of gunfire, and that motorists stuck in their vehicles on the freeway were never in any danger.

Meanwhile, the police helicopter was able to locate two suspects as they were attempting to hide and crawl through the brush near the freeway. A SWAT team then worked to isolate the two.

After about one hour, the suspects split up. One of them crossed both lanes of I-5 to the east, then came back over to the original area, where he was taken into custody without incident.

That suspect told officers that the second man was still armed with an AK-47 before they split up.

For two more hours, the second suspect managed to elude officers, but he was finally caught shortly after midnight.

Police dogs were brought into the area, and were able to find an AK-47 rifle and an ammo can with multiple live rounds.

The first suspect was booked into King County Jail for investigation of obstructing. The second suspect was booked for investigation of violation of the Uniform Firearms Act and reckless endangerment.

The suspects were described as white males in their late teens or early 20s.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.