14 sickened by chemical fumes at Puyallup hospital

14 sickened by chemical fumes at Puyallup hospital
PUYALLUP, Wash. -- Hazardous materials teams were called to Puyallup's Good Samaritan Hospital Wednesday morning after a release of chemical fumes sickened several people inside.

The fumes were generated after a worker poured a chemical down a sink on the third floor and set off a reaction with other chemicals in the drain, said officials with Central Pierce Fire & Rescue.

Fourteen people ended up being treated for respiratory issues, including 12 staff members, a patient and a visitor, said hospital spokesperson Marce Edwards. The hospital has since been given the all clear.

Officials don't know yet exactly which chemicals were involved in the incident.