Armored car guard's killer gets life in prison

Armored car guard's killer gets life in prison »Play Video
Calvin Finley appears in court for his sentencing Friday.
TACOMA, Wash. - A man who gunned down an armored car guard during a robbery last year at a Wal-Mart store was sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

A Pierce County Superior Court judge handed down that sentence to Calvin Finley, 37, who pleaded guilty to the murder last July.

Finley admits that he shot armored truck guard Kurt Husted last June, then fled the scene.

Husted's family and fiance sat in the courtroom Friday and spoke to Finley before the life sentence was handed down.

"I want you to know something, Mr. Finley," said Husted's fiancee, Deborah Bishop. "I feel sorry for you. I've been very bitter. But you know what? I'm done with that. It's time to stop reminding myself of what won't be - and plan for what will be."

Finley showed no remorse and did not apologize for the murder. But Bishop says she is relieved justice has been served.

Finley originally was scheduled to be sentenced in January, but it was held up by some last-minute legal maneuvering.

Prosecutors say surveillance tape caught the execution-style killing and theft of the money bags Husted was transporting to the armored truck.

Four other people - Marshawn Turpin, 20; Tonie Williams-Irby, 42; Odies Walker, 41; and Brittney Marie Maas-Baines - have been charged with first-degree murder and other crimes in the case. They have all pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors said the group spent a month planning the heist, and two of them celebrated with a big dinner at Red Lobster afterward.

As a Wal-Mart employee, Williams-Irby was briefed at company meetings about the weekly and monthly income of the store, and she told the other suspects that "hundreds of thousands of dollars" could be stolen from the armored car.

In the three days before the robbery, Finley and Walker went to the Wal-Mart store and timed the movements of the armored car and the guard carring the money bags, according to court documents. During this period, Turpin also was recruited to help out in the scheme.

On the day of the robbery, Williams-Irby was working at the store. The armored truck arrived near the front door, and Husted proceeded into the store.

Shortly afterward, Walker drove a white Buick up to the store's front entrance, about 100 feet behind the armored car. Surveillance cameras then showed that Finley and Turpin got out of the car and walked quickly into the store.

Less than a minute later, Finley and Turpin approached the guard as he was walking toward the exit in a crowded area of the store, with a cart containing bags of cash and checks.

Finley then whipped out a handgun and shot the guard, Husted, in the face, according to court documents. Husted collapsed to the floor as Finley calmly turned and walked out of the store.

Turpin, who also was armed, swooped down and and grabbed the money bags from the guard's cart, then ran from the store behind Finley, court documents say.

When Finley was arrested, officers found more than $20,000 in a safe in the trunk of his car, according to court documents. When Irby-Williams and Walker were arrested, more than $20,000 was found in a safe at their home.


• Go behind the scenes at the courthouse with Shomari Stone »