Bomb maker arrested in attorney's murder-for-hire plot

Bomb maker arrested in attorney's murder-for-hire plot
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho. -- A Sagle, Idaho man has been arrested for building and placing pipe bomb on an SUV as part of attorney Edgar Steele's murder-for-hire plot.

Larry Fairfax has been charged under Title 26 of the U.S. Code with Possession of a firearm not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record as well as Making a firearm in violation of the National Firearms Act.

Fairfax was taken into custody and was interrogated by Coeur d'Alene police and agents with the Bureaur of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Investigators believe he laid out the plans put in motion by Steele to murder his wife and mother-in-law while giving himself an alibi.

According to the complaint, Fairfax was hired by Steele to build two pipe bombs at his home in Sagle as part of the murder-for-hire plot. On or about May 30th Fairfax placed one of the two pipe bombs on the Mitsubishi Endeavor owned by Edgar and Cyndi Steele, the same vehicle Cyndi Steele was driving when the bomb was discovered Tuesday afternoon in Coeur d'Alene.

According to Fairfax, Edgar Steele told him that his wife would be driving the same vehicle when she traveled to Oregon to visit her mother on May 31.

The second pipe bomb was to serve as Steele's alibi, Fairfax said, and was to be planted on Steele's own car.

The plan, Fairfax told investigators, was to kill Steele's wife and mother-in-law with the first pipe bomb planted on the SUV she was driving while the second bomb, placed on his own car, to "provide an alibi or evidence that both he and his wife had been targeted for murder" according to an ATF agent who was one of the investigators who interviewed Fairfax Tuesday evening.

Fairfax told investigators Tuesday evening that he had placed a piece of tape on the fuse for the pipe bomb placed on the Mitsubishi Cyndi Steele was to drive to Oregon; by placing the tape on the fuse he believed it would prevent the bomb from going off.

Federal prosecutors have filed a motion to have Fairfax be held without bail until his trial. During his initial appearance Wednesday Fairfax asked for a public defender. A judge ordered he be held in custody until his detention hearing which is scheduled for next Monday. He is currently being held in the Kootenai County Jail.