7/24/2014

Currently

64°F

Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 65%
Pressure: 30.21 in

Local

Algae causing musty smell in Bellingham water

Algae causing musty smell in Bellingham water
Show Caption
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) - Algae from Lake Whatcom is responsible for the musty, earthy smell and taste to Bellingham's drinking water.

They city has received about 30 complaints about the odor.

The Public Works department tells The Bellingham Herald the algae, call Uroglena Americana, is non-toxic and the water is safe to drink.

The city is planning to build a water pre-treatment system that would remove algae and other organic material because it goes from Lake Whatcom to the treatment plant.
Share:
Police investigate drone 'strike' on Space Needle Police investigate drone 'strike' on Space Needle