Chihuahuas survive house fire that started in dog cage

Chihuahuas survive house fire that started in dog cage
One of four Chihuahuas that survived a fire that started inside their dog cage Tuesday in West Seattle.

Four Chihuahuas survived a house fire that started inside their dog cage before spreading to the house's deck and roof Tuesday in West Seattle.

According to a Seattle Fire Department investigator, the fire started around 10:39 a.m. in the 200 block of Southwest Roxbury Street when an unattended work light inside the metal dog cage caught fire.

Flames spread to the wooden deck the cage was sitting on and then up the side of the house to the roof.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out before it made its way inside the house. And, impressively, all four Chihuahuas inside the cage survived.

According to investigators, the fire did about $20,000 of damage to the house.


Wreckage shows where the fire started inside a metal dog cage before spreading up the side of the house and onto the roof. Courtesy of Seattle Fire Department.