Disabled man pulled from burning home in Graham

Disabled man pulled from burning home in Graham
GRAHAM, Wash. -- Firefighters were able to pull a bedridden Graham man from his burning home Wednesday morning.

The fire broke out around 10 a.m. in the 23000 block of 65th Ave Ct. E. in Graham, according to officials with Graham Fire & Rescue.

A bedridden man named Marty Lewis and his wife, Masako, were stuck inside the burning house. Lewis said the microwave first caught fire after Marty tried to warm up a blanket.

"This morning I have kind of a smell and I hear pop pop like popcorn popping," Masako said.

The fire quickly spread to the attic. By the time Lt. Jeff Davison and firefighter Jorel Cornier were able to get inside, they found a home full of smoke and Marty in his hospital bed.

"He was just laying there. He looked kind of confused as to what was going on," Cornier said.

Cornier and Davison picked him up and helped him the 74-year-old out of the house.

"They came in to get me and make sure everything was okay," Marty said.

Marty is a retried Air Force tech sergeant and former auto mechanic who has been battling several cancers.

"It's great. I love being able to save lives," Cornier said. "It's such a rewarding job. This is what we live for."

Firefighters were able to knock the fire down before the house was destroyed. Investigators it will cost roughly $5,500 to repair the home.