Fire damages Alzheimer's care facility in Edmonds; no injuries

EDMONDS, Wash. - An early morning fire in Edmonds caused more than $85,000 damage at a 24-hour care center for residents with Alzheimer’s disease, but no one was hurt.

Firefighters were dispatched at 2:25 a.m. to an automatic fire alarm at Rosewood Courte Memory Care in the 700 block of Edmonds Way. The facility is home to 34 residents with memory loss diseases, all requiring around-the-clock care.

Crews from Fire District 1 and Shoreline Fire Department responded and found smoke in one section of the building. They evacuated residents to another section of the building that was smoke-free and readied a bus in case further evacuation was necessary, said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

When firefighters opened a locked laundry room door in the smoke-filled hallway, they found there had been a fire in a large commercial dryer that had been in use. A fire sprinkler had activated, spraying water directly onto the dryer, shattering its glass door and extinguishing the blaze.

“The building’s fire sprinkler system really made a big difference in the outcome of this fire. It kept the fire from spreading, prevented injuries and limited damage,” said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

Firefighters used large fans to clear smoke from the hallways so residents could return to their rooms.

This is the second time in two years that fire sprinklers have extinguished a fire at Rosewood Courte, Hynes said. In August 2011, a sprinkler extinguished a fire in a commercial hot water tank near the facility's kitchen.