10/2/2014

Currently

54°F

Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 74%
Pressure: 30.24 in

Local

Man critically injured in Edmonds condominium fire

Man critically injured in Edmonds condominium fire
Show Caption
EDMONDS, Wash. - A 67-year-old man is clinging to life after he was injured in a Sunday morning blaze at an Edmonds condominium, fire officials said.

Crews responded to the scene, at 7421 212th St. in Edmonds, at about 8:15 a.m. after neighbors called 911 and reported seeing smoke, said Leslie Hynes of Snohomish County Fire District 1.

Police and firefighters arrived and pulled the victim from the burning unit. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Other residents in the two-story, five-unit building were safely evacuated.

The fire was contained to the kitchen area of the injured man's condominium unit, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout the rental unit. Total damage was estimated at $30,000.

None of the other four units in the building were damaged, and their occupants were allowed back in.

Hynes said the apartment where the fire started had a smoke alarm, but it did not go off because there were no batteries in it.

“Even with a relatively small fire like this one, smoke can spread quickly and silently. Smoke alarms can give you the warning you need to safely escape. That’s why it’s so important to make sure the smoke alarms in your home are working properly,” Hynes said.
Share:
Thieves target grieving mom: 'I really refuse to allow evil to triumph' Thieves target grieving mom: 'I really refuse to allow evil to triumph'