Woman seriously injured in Edmonds house fire

Woman seriously injured in Edmonds house fire
EDMONDS, Wash. -- A woman was severely injured in a Tuesday evening house fire in Edmonds.

Neighbors in the 9000 block of 218th Street SW call 911 just after 5 p.m. when they saw smoke and flames coming from a nearby home, according to officials from Snohomish County Fire District 1.

When firefighters arrived on scene they found the garage at the house engulfed in flames. They also found a resident -- a woman in her 40s -- who had escaped the fire but was severely injured.

The woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Firefighters had the blaze under control within 20 minutes. The fire damaged the garage and a two-bedroom living area above it.

It's unclear what sparked the fire.