Man injured in Granite Falls house fire

Man injured in Granite Falls house fire
GRANITE FALLS, Wash. -- A man was injured when flames torched a part of his home on Tuesday morning.

Granite Falls Fire Chief Jim Haverfield said the occupant of a home in the 16800 block of 130th St. NE called 911 around 11:30 a.m. The dispatcher told the man to evacuate, but he said he wanted to stay and try to extinguish the flames, the chief said.

Firefighters arrived and found the man on the second floor, unconscious but breathing. The victim was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in unknown condition.

The blaze was contained to the second floor.

It was not immediately known how the fire started. Fire officials had trouble assessing the fire "due to the amount of material in the home," Haverfield said.