SEATTLE - Does your office still have a fax machine?
Do you know where it is?
Do you even know how to use it?
A recent survey of 7,000 global professionals by business networking website LinkedIn found the fax to be one of the top 10 office tools and trends that will likely disappear completely within five years.
Just above the fax machine on the list was the tape recorder. Rounding out the other spots in the top five were the Rolodex, standard working hours (banker's hours) and the desk phone.
The survey also asked professionals to reveal their 'dream' office tools. That list includes a quiet place to nap, a place in the office to enjoy natural sunlight and the ability to clone one's self.
Mashable.com has the full top 10 list of soon-to-be-extinct office tools:
1. Tape recorders (79 percent)
2. Fax machines (71 percent)
3. The Rolodex (58 percent)
4. Standard working hours (57 percent)
5. Desk phones (35 percent)
6. Desktop computers (34 percent)
7. Formal business attire like suits, ties, pantyhose, etc. (27 percent)
8. The corner office for managers/executives (21 percent)
9. Cubicles (19 percent)
10. USB thumb drives (17 percent)