EDMONDS, Wash. -- Four people escaped a burning home early Wednesday morning in Edmonds.
The fire began just before 3 a.m in the 200 block of 81st Ave. West in the town's Maplewood neighborhood and firefighters said nearly 3/4 of the home was already engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Luckily a smoke alarm woke the four inside. Patrick Leighton said he was able to bash out the windows and get his girlfriend, his parents and himself out, although one had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
A pet cat and dog also escaped the flames, but a second dog remains unaccounted for.
Firefighters are still looking into what started the fire.
"It was close to the Christmas tree," Leighton said. "Mom said she saw the Christmas tree in flames," but he added he's not sure if that was what started the fire.
The home is a complete loss and damage is estimated at $250,000.
KOMO's Corwin Haeck filed this report from the scene in Edmonds.