I was recently given the honor to appear at the Pacific Northwest Weather Workshop and give a speech about this weather blog and how it can highlight the weather around here and educate readers into the complex subject of meteorology... and have a little fun while doing so!
I wanted to also show off some of the incredible photography and videos that I've been sent over the years -- not just from the Pacific Northwest, but from around the world.
So with the help from KOMONews.com video editor Vienna Catalani (Thanks, Vienna!), we put together an 8 1/2 minute video showcasing some of the best that Mother Nature has to offer. Each item in the videos has been featured in this blog at some point.
Below the video is the "answer key" that has links to the individual blog entires that were the sources for the presentation. These have access to the full-size images or full length video clips.
And now here is the full list of blog entries highligted in the movie:
- Strait Cloud Swirl
- Mt. Rainier puts on a show:
- 2nd Rainier Lenticular cloud
- Sunset streak clouds
- Seattle stormy clouds (2)
- Wavey Cloud over Safeco Field
- Gravity Wave cloud
- Volcano cloud
- Rainbow clouds (3)
- Noctilucent clouds (2)
- Lighthouse sunset
- Dog face in cloud
- Sun Pillars (2)
- Rainier casts shadow
- Space Needle lightning
- Other lightning photo
- UW Lightning
- Heart Rain Shadow
- Hand full of graupel
- World's tiniest snowman
- Ice Spike Bowls (2)
- Needle Ice
- Cool Ice Swirl
- Snowflakes, up close
- Northern Lights Norway (3)
- Horsehead Nebula
TIME LAPSE VIDEOS:
- Lenticular over Olympics (Dr. Dale Ireland)
- Lenticular cloud over Mt. Rainier
- Lenticular clouds as seen from Seattle
- Wind Shear over Seattle
- Exploding Cloud/Unstable Air
- Cloned Clouds Time Lapse
- Washington DC Snow Time Lapse
- Video of Queen Anne Storm
- Gravity Waves over Iowa
- Northern Lights Time Lapse Video
- Meteor Shower over Mt. Rainier
- Falling Ice Daggers
- Baseball-size hail in swimming pool
- Hawaii Volcano Lightning
- Chicago Lightning & Seattle Space Needle Lightning
- Billings Tornado
- Funnel Cloud over Seattle
- Train vs. Tornado
- Parahelic Circle
- Cape Disappointment Waves
- Hole Punch Clouds over Russia
LIGHTER SIDE OF THE BLOG
Music featured: "Kiunguja" by Luigi Lusini & Thomas Schwartz. Find it on iTunes
These were some of the blog entires I highlighted before I presented the video -- a sampling of the wide range of topics covered in the blog.
- Now that's one spooky looking cloud formation
- Mt. Rainier puts on a show - this blog went viral in e-mails and has millions of hits to its credit.
- Proof that Mother Nature loves Sequim
- Plane Rain Shadow (got on Southwest Airlines' blog)
- Scott's parents take a trip through the Olympic Rain Shadow
- Forecast models: Just really expensive dart boards?
- OMG! It's La Nina!
- Global Warming Updates -- on the 4s! -- tying explaning climate change to traffic patterns.
- Seattle in 2010: It rained on every holiday
- L.A. could steal rain crown from Seattle
- The story of a golfer and his uncanny ability to dodge the rain
- Sorry it rained on your garage sale, sis! -- the story of the blown forecast for my sister's garage sale.
- McDonald's ad campaign backfires
- Welcome to the most boring day of winter
Can't wait to see what Mother Nature does for an encore!