The WEDGE Salad
By Shannon O'Donnell
The 'Wedge Salad'--a given on steak restaurant menus throughout the 70's and 80's--is making a bit of a resurgence. It's essentially a Cobb salad, but looks a bit fancier in terms of presentation. My Aunt-in-law Kathi Rudy served up this version during a lovely sunset dinner on a hot summer's evening on the shores of Priest Lake, Idaho. Wonderful with some crusty artisan bread and white wine!
The Wedge Salad
* One head of iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 wedges
* About 12 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
* 4 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
* 16 to 20 cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
* 1 avocado (peeled and pitted), chopped
* 1/4 red onion, diced
* 8 oz crumbled bleu cheese
* Blue Cheese Vinaigrette to taste
* Salt & pepper to pass
1. Place an iceberge wedge on each plate.
2. Scatter bacon, eggs, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and crumbled bleu cheese over each wedge.
3. Top with a few drizzles of dressing and serve.
When she's not forecasting, Shannon O'Donnell enjoys putting together tasty, season-appropriate meals and goodies for her friends and family.