By Shannon O'Donnell
My dear friend Calley is a fabulous cook...she likes to do crazy things like roll her own gnocchi and construct sushi at home. What?!? That all sounds too tedious to me! However, her fancy quesadillas are right up my alley...they're fast, they're tasty, and they're nutritious. If you like California Pizza Kitchen's signature BBQ Chicken pizza, chances are you'll love these too, as the base flavors are similar. But the addition of mango slices gives them that 'extra something special'.
* Butter as needed
* 1 package of 10-12 large flour tortillas
* 1 cup BBQ sauce
* 1 to 2 cups of pre-cooked BBQ chicken, hand-shredded into bite-size pieces*
* 1/2 red onion, chopped
* 1 mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced and cut into bite-size pieces
* 8 ounces brie or pepper jack cheese, sliced into bite-size pieces
* 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
* I use leftover chicken, or buy one of those pre-roasted BBQ chickens at the store, then chop up...
1. Melt 1 T of butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Lay down a tortilla, and cook a minute or two until golden brown. Remove...this will be your 'top tortilla'.
2. Take another tortilla and place in pan (add more butter first if needed). Use spoon or brush to spread thin layer of BBQ sauce (about 1 T) over tortilla...leave about an inch around the outside that is sauce-free. Top with some of the chicken, onion, mango, cheese and cilantro. Put your 'top tortilla' (the one you already browned) on top, golden side up.
3. Cook until melted and warm, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be careful to adjust heat so as not to burn!
4. Slide quesadilla onto cutting board and let rest a minute or two. Slice into wedges.
5. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Serve warm with sour cream, avocado and salsa.
When she's not forecasting, Shannon O'Donnell enjoys putting together tasty, season-appropriate meals and goodies for her friends and family.