By Shannon O'Donnell
These cute, quick Valentine's Day cookies are so simple: with only 4 main ingredients, they are a cinch to make. Add perky pink non-pareils for a festive look, or dip them in chocolate for a more indulgent treat. Dyeing the dough with food color is also an option, if you're so inclined...! I've also done these for baby showers, but used little bottle/bear/stroller/bib shaped mini-cutters instead. The possibilities are endless!
'LOVE BITES' COOKIES
* 2 sticks butter, softened
* 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup pink nonpareils
* 6 oz melted dark chocolate chips
1) In a large mixing bowl, blend butter and sugar until fluffy.
2) Mix in salt.
3) Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until well-blended.
4) If desired, add in nonpareils.
5) Roll out dough between 2 sheets of floured waxed paper until 1/2 inch thick...don't go too thin, as you'll want a good 'bite' to your love bites!
6) Wrap rolled dough in plastic bag and refrigerate anywhere from an hour to overnight.
7) Heat oven to 350°.
8) Using small 1" heart cookie cutter, cut out bite-sized heart shaped cookies. Re-roll dough as needed to use it all up.
9) Place cookies on baking sheets 1/2" apart and bake 14 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cook completely.
10) If desired, dip hearts in melted chocolate.
Makes 4 to 6 dozen cookies.
When she's not forecasting, Shannon O'Donnell enjoys putting together tasty, season-appropriate meals and goodies for her friends and family.