By Shannon O'Donnell
This is a nice little 'one pot' meal...quick and easy on a busy work night. My Mom sent it to me after seeing it on the 'Good Things Utah Show' several years ago.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup cornstarch
Canola or Vegetable Oil
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 T Soy sauce
2 T Oyster sauce
1/2 t garlic powder
2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 cup broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup red pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
Black and white sesame seeds
1) Cut chicken into 1" cubes. Put 1/2 cup cornstarch into a plastic bag or large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
2) Add enough oil into your skillet or wok to generously coat bottom. Heat to medium-high heat. Add chicken and fry until golden brown.
3) While chicken is frying, prepare sauce by mixing water, sugar, Soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic powder and remaining cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir mixture over medium heat until thickened. Pour over chicken and simmer 3 minutes.
4) Add prepared broccoli and pepper and cook another minute or two...not too long, as you don't want limp veggies!
5) Stir in sesame seeds to taste, and serve over white rice.
When she's not forecasting, Shannon O'Donnell enjoys putting together tasty, season-appropriate meals and goodies for her friends and family.