FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Event: Northwest DanceSport Championships - USA Dance National Qualifying Event
Date: January 14 & 15, 2012.
Daytime kid events January 24 from 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Adult events in evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 10 p.m. (key events January 24 from about 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
From: Daryl Schmidt & Michele Boyer – Northwest DanceSport Championships Co-organizers
Address: 14024 89th Ave NE, Bothell, WA 98011
Video: video promo
Ballroom Dancers from Across the U.S. and Canada to Compete at Northwest Dancesport Championships January 14-15 in SeaTac.
Like ice skaters, ballroom dancers aspire to win the right to represent their country at the world championships. The first step on this road is qualifying at a USA Dance qualifying event, and competition is keen. Dancers are preparing now to test their mettle on the dance floor Saturday, Jan. 14th and Sunday, Jan. 15th at the Northwest DanceSport Championships held at the SeaTac Hilton and Convention Center, 17620 Pacific Highway South. This event draws competitors from across the United States and British Columbia and is the largest event of its kind in the greater Seattle area.
Competitive events will be held for dancers of all ages. Enjoy the young children just learning to dance, then watch the teenagers who have further developed their dancing. See the spectacular gowns and tailsuits of the championship level dancers as they float and twirl down the floor or sizzle in Latin events.
Young ballroom stars, 11-year-old Erik Linder and 10-year-old Rickie Taylor are preparing now for this event at Oly’s Dance Studio in Everett. They have appeared on Oprah’s “Worlds Most Talented Kids” program and “America’s Got Talent”. Erik and Rickie placed first in their division at the USA Dance National Championships. You can read more about this talented couple at www.erikandrickie.com.
Also competing at this event are local favorites Nathan Murstein and Polina Dickenson, ages 11 and 12, respectively, who placed first in their division at USA Dance National Championships, and made the semifinals of the 2012 Blackpool Junior World Dance Festival in England. Visit their website at http://www.seattleballroomkids.com for articles, photos and video clips.
For those that are new to ballroom competitions, here are some tips:
• Don’t be shy…call out the numbers of couples that you like or want to encourage. This is not considered impolite and the dancers really enjoy the support.
• Wear something a little dressy if you like…it’s like the opera—everything from sequins to jeans.
• Add a great meal to your outing and dine in what many think is the southend’s best restaurant, Spencers, in the hotel. Their steak, chops and seafood are excellent, served in a beautiful setting.
• Don’t miss the kid events on Saturday afternoon. The children are charming, poised and amazingly talented.
• If you can only come for only one session, Saturday evening would be the best bet as you can see top level classical ballroom as well as a world class Latin show.
For schedule, on-line ticket sales and more information, please visit www.nwdsc.org or call 360-673-4954 for tickets. Daytime general admission $15, evening riser seats $25 and tables $35.
Daryl Schmidt & Michele Boyer
Co-Organizers USA Dance Northwest DanceSport Championships