current home

Family in crisis

I am a divorced mother with 5 children ( 2 disabled ) I have been living in my home for 27 months under a Section 8 contract. I have always paid my rent on time and have recieved no notices or complaints. On Jan 9 2009, I recieved a notice from a bank that my landlord has not paid his mortgage in atleast 9 months. Therefore, I am being evicted from my home. The bank is giving my family until 5pm on Jan 30 2009 to be completely out of the home or face physical eviction. I have looked endlessly to find adequate housing that keeps my children in the same schools (for their disabilities) with no success. Can the bank evict a family with only 3 weeks notice? Where is a low income family to get the financial need to move with such short notice? Shouldn't the housing authority or landlord have some responsibility in helping a family move when eviction is not the fault of the housing client? On top of everything else, the bank has begun to shut off utilities within the home after giving notice that I have until Jan 30 2009 to be out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.



This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

You have indicated this comment should be removed.


The comment has been submitted for review. Thank you .

MomOf4 says ... on Saturday, Jan 17 at 4:00 PM

Here are links that may help. Also try DSHS or your church or schools for resources. Also an attorney? What a horrible situation. Good luck

mumof2 says ... on Saturday, Jan 17 at 10:15 PM

wow. That's terrible. I hope you get help soon. As well as what MomOf4 said, have you thought of talking to the red cross?

Kaylan says ... on Sunday, Jan 18 at 6:27 AM

Try contacting this law center. They help people for free: 734-827-2001

Kaylan says ... on Sunday, Jan 18 at 6:29 AM

Also try contacting these city offices:

Kaylan says ... on Sunday, Jan 18 at 6:41 AM

I found this site that talks about landlord and tenant issues for your area: I'd send this information privately but I cannot find a contact address

DesMoines Dame says ... on Sunday, Jan 18 at 9:04 PM

If Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac (I can't remember which one) is involed with the mortage, you might be able to work with them and stay a bit longer. Check their websites. One of them is developing a program to work with renters in this situation.

Kaylan says ... on Tuesday, Jan 20 at 11:10 AM

I contacted HS office and they said to contact: The Crisis Clinic by dialing 2-1-1. From out of state dial (877) 211-9274 or online

maritia iotte Bellingham says ... on Wednesday, Jan 21 at 11:24 PM

How awful! You poor people. I think somebody should help you out. Somebody ought to take some responsibilty and help you find a new home! Talk to churches to help you. Please somebody help them out!

Hope says ... on Thursday, Jan 22 at 7:10 AM

I will pray for you. Read Psalm 25. Here's a bit (25,3-4) No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced. Disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others. Show me the path where I should walk Lord; point out the right road for me to follow.

Flea says ... on Friday, Jan 23 at 2:53 AM

Renters Rights do not apply when a landlord goes into foreclosure.... DSHS should help, you may have to get nasty with them but sit in that waiting room and don't leave until they do something.. My tax dollars are to help people like you!

LEAH says ... on Sunday, Jan 25 at 6:38 AM


Jennifer says ... on Monday, Jan 26 at 6:44 AM

I would be more than willing to come and help you move, I have a big truck and I know others that do....please let me know what I can do for YOU and your family. Have you found a place to go yet? Contact me @

Jennifer says ... on Monday, Jan 26 at 8:03 AM

--or leave me contact info to reach you.

Botfin says ... on Tuesday, Jan 27 at 12:34 AM

This family has a better case than the other family with 5 kids who wants help remodeling their kitchen. Just keep in mind that some charity actually hurts people, if it encourages others to have more kids than they can afford.

Stephanie Will says ... on Thursday, Jan 29 at 3:41 AM

From what i know, if a landlord is foreclosed on by a bank and u are the leasee of that landlord, then you become a leasee of the bank. It is then up to them what decisions are made regarding you as the renter. That's what i know of this situation.

Anonymous says ... on Friday, Jan 30 at 3:38 AM

Housing requires 60 day notice to tenants but your situations different. What has housing done tell help you? When someone evicts you if your not out within the time period you are asked to appear in court. The judge could give you more time.

Teresa says ... on Friday, Jan 30 at 3:39 AM

Also...its unfortunate but you may have to move out of the area. Yah it may be tough but having a safe house and roof over your heads more important. Have you considered an apartment building? Try Salvation Army for help with a deposit.

YEP says ... on Friday, Jan 30 at 9:50 AM

Stephanie is right. You CAN negotiate with the bank. They don't want to foreclose. Offer to pay your standard rent to them. Apply to purchase the home yourself - you'd be surprised what they will be willing to take as an alternative to foreclosure.

Add a comment


Comment: 250 Characters Left

KOMO News and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.