For more info contact: Jody Matson
Public Information Officer
For Immediate Release:
Poulsbo residents narrowly escape home fire
(Poulsbo, Kitsap County) A young Poulsbo couple and their two dogs escaped unharmed this morning just before 1am in the Mesford neighborhood, near the North Kitsap High School. Poulsbo Fire Department, North Kitsap Fire and Rescue, and Navy Region Northwest responded to a residential structure fire that apparently began in the attached garage.
The 23 year old male and 24 year old female residents said they are just glad they are out alive. The woman said, “My dogs woke me up because they started acting crazy. When I got up, I heard the smoke alarms. We looked outside the window and noticed a glow; at first we thought it was the neighbor’s house. Then we heard explosions and realized our garage was on fire. My husband screamed to get out. It’s a good thing because we didn’t realize the fire had already spread to the house.”
Official damages are unavailable at this time, but the garage is a total loss. The fire burned through one exterior wall and the roof. The couple lost two vehicles in the fire, a VW Golf and 2009 Jeep Wagoneer. They had renter’s insurance. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused from a barbeque stored in the garage before it was completely cooled.